Monday, June 12, 2006

Fetchin' toward a bloody outcome, boss

I'm not sure if linking to other articles is the best way to break the seal on this here new blog, but just in case you haven't read these, this seemed like the place to post them. Especially since we're still working on our thoughts for the first episode (and subsequent posts). Consider this priming the pump.

Oh, how I've missed Heather Havrilesky sprinkling some Swearengen-isms through her reviews at Salon. Any article that has "tender cocksuckers" in its first sentence is probably one I'm going to read. She rips HBO a new asshole for its short-sighted decision to pull the curtain on Deadwood after this season, opting instead for a couple of two-hour movie table scraps. Like a warm, strong shot of whiskey down the throat:

I won't stand for those who trumpet my intentions or herd me like a steer or question my cleanin' up a little yella for my goddamn efforts. I've acted on your commission all along, keeping my eyes on whatever frivolous fucking tripe I figured you might relish whilst you pursued your preferred activities, and I'm mighty grateful for your fucking attentions. But I beg you to remember, them that butt into other people's business and make the business of others their own are meddling no-good cocksuckers. I can see to my job the way I'm goddamned able, and that's all I can goddamned do. The gist is, fuck yourself.

Ah, yes. I don't know if Heather kisses her mother with that mouth, but she can kiss me any time she chooses. Unless she asks me to try and spell her last name first. She also reviews the first episode after venting her spleen.

Back to HBO's decision to cancel the show, yesterday's New York Times had an interesting blow-by-blow recount of events leading up to this point, and the influence that fans played in the series getting a proper send-off - albeit less than what it truly deserves.

Is it possible that David Milch's own creativity came back to bite him in the ass? What if he'd never gone to the HBO suits with the idea for his new show (about surfers living on the California-Mexico border)? Could he have just sat on the idea or did they want to hear what else he had cooking? Would HBO have just gone ahead with plans for future seasons of Deadwood, if they thought that was what Milch had in mind? Or was the show on shaky ground because of the cost of producing each episode?

I guess we'll never know. But it's an intriguing, infuriating question to consider... as I imagine Milch going off on the HBO suits like Bullock on Farnum last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home