Sunday, June 25, 2006

I'm havin mine served cold.

So the hobo website is listing this episode’s title as “I Am Not the Man You Take Me For” but since I like it better the way the drunk in the beginning says it (with the fine) that’s what I’m going to call it – dammit. ‘I Am Not the Fine Man You Take Me For.’

Loved this beginning! Like you I found myself getting totally carried away by subtext and metaphorical possibili-tays. To go back to our ongoing Shakespeare comparisons, I couldn’t help but think of that famous speech in Macbeth about people (and life) being like idiots on a stage ‘full or sound and fury, signifying nothing.’ Here I looked up the full quote:

"To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,To the last syllable of recorded time;And all our yesterdays have lighted fools The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player, That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,And then is heard no more: it is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing."
--From Macbeth (V, v, 19)

Yeah, I did me some book-learnin, once upon a time…

Al is wonderful in that scene, he shows annoyance mostly but at one point I thought I could see a brief moment of what? Compassion, maybe? I dunno, it was great though. Plus Al really rocks those longjohns.

I don’t know what was more upsetting – Dan’s straining suspenders or Johnny’s full moon showing out of his open poop flap.

This episode was so fuckin dense with the language! None of them are lightweight and I’m not complaining – just made me wish I could figure out how to turn on the ‘close-captioning’.

Joanie was great – their story line isn’t my favorite either but the way she delivered that line ‘I don’t wanna run women no more’ was amazing.

I loved Mose’s comeback to Jane!

JANE: "I'm, for the day, off the bottle and about to bathe."
MOSE: "Camp get up a petition?"

Scintilla!

I really don’t understand why Alma dissed Ellsworth in her Will. I suppose the romantic view would be that she still loves psycho-hottie Bullock and doesn’t want him to forget her. And the un-romantic view would be that she’s a bitch and he got her preggers and she doesn’t want him TO EVER FORGET HER. But really, who knows? And she didn’t really apologize or explain herself to Ellsworth which is just wrong.

Jane is wonderful with the kids – I would’ve loved to see that go a little longer.

I don’t know why I just thought of this – maybe ‘cause it’s hot and muggy in my apartment right now and I got swamp-ass, but except for the beginning of the first season which was kinda in winter – haven’t they be stuck in summer a lot? Or am I maybe just remembering wrong?

I really love those old windows and how they’re all rippled.

Maybe my favorite line, ADAMS: ‘If he (Al) was trailin’ water we might get took for ducklings.’

It’s weird, I just finished reading The Cider House Rules by John Irving which, as you probably know, is about abortion (and other things) and goes into a great deal of detail and whatnot (it was a very good read by the way) and Alma is getting this abortion. Plus, and it’s been said before (in other seasons) about ‘being of use’ as Cy tells Joanie is a reason for not holding a gun to her head and ‘being of use’ is a very big theme in Cider House.

Despite the wonderful scene with Jane in the classroom and Al’s wounded walk at the end (if Ian McShane doesn’t win an acting award this year…) I think my favorite scene was when Utter talked with Joanie about Bill.

I know Deadwood is keeping fairly close to the actual history of Deadwood and I’m glad I don’t know too much about this part of American history – for example I’d love for Al to kill Hearst but I know he (Hearst) didn’t die in Deadwood so Al’s revenge which he prefers to have ‘served cold’ doesn’t involve Hearst’s death.

Hey, did you see that hobo on demand has an interview with David Milch? It’s called ‘David Milch Uncut’ – did Farnum name that?

About your Duvall post: I love Robert Duvall - but what is his problem with Deadwood? That’s disappointing – is it too modern for an old fashioned (as in old Hollywood) westerns lover? Does he think it takes away from the character’s (and the West’s) honor because they have potty mouths? Is he adverse to nasty language and partial to fruity tea? Maybe he’s just upset he wasn’t tapped to act in it. I wonder if John Wayne would have liked Deadwood…


Body Count: 3½ (including damage done to Al’s hand)
Asses Shown: 2 (including Hearst’s ‘showin Al his ass’)
Beers consumed: lost count, must’ve watch this episode 4 or 5 times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home